Saturday, June 03, 2006

Our Best of McHenry County

I have greatly enjoyed the section titled "Best of the Fox" in the Northwest Herald. We, of course, as our readers are well aware of, have our own "Best and Worst" section that comes out on New Years Eve. Its usually for Marengo only, though, and I thought it might be interesting to do our own take on what is the best in McHenry County.

Antique Stores: Now, I don't usually search for antiques. I got enough junk lying around my house, and it seems unwise to bring yet more ancient nick-nacks in. However, one place that I have seen lots of different antique stores, all of them very interesting, is Hebron. The whole downtown area is filled with antique stores that have many, many different items on display. It seems to me if one wants to hit a whole bunch of antique stores all at once, that this is a good place to go and much more scenic than an antique mall where one just walks in and everything is set up in boring little booths.

Chinese Restaurants: I would say Green Garden in Woodstock. I have been in both the Breakers and King Wok, which were the places chosen as the best by the NW Herald, and the food was pretty terrible. They are also more expensive and do not provide either soup or egg rolls with their meals, whereas Green Garden is reasonably priced with good food.

Bagel: Yeah, Bentley's Bagel and Brew in Lake in the Hills is pretty good. Right about that one. They also have excellent bagel breakfast sandwiches.

Bakery: Now, you wouldn't catch me dead going to Around the Clock Bakery again. Yes, this was one of the places chosen as the best. One time I ordered a lemon meringue pie. It came to the table as hard as leather. When I asked what happened, the waitress asked "Oh, you mean you'd like a fresh piece?" Well, yeah, that sure would be nice! The last time I was there I ordered a caramel apple pie. The caramel was so hard I had to scrape it off with a fork and knife. Never again. I think the best bakery I've ever been to is Flatlanders here in town.

Book Store: Borders seem like the best. I don't know about Between the Lynes in Woodstock. Yes, they are interesting, but the prices are high and there's not much of a selection.

Breakfast: None of the choices in the NW Herald appealed to me. I didn't like Richard Walker's Pancake House, the food was expensive, very limited, and none too fresh. I would say Café Olympic in downtown Crystal Lake has a homey atmosphere and good breakfast as well.

Brewery: I agree there! Governors Public House in Lake in the Hills has the best, if not the only. They have any kind of beer you've ever dreamed of: lemon flavored beer, vanilla beer, wheat brewed beer, oatmeal brewed beer. You can never get tired of the place.

Coffee: I would say Starbucks. Wins hands down each time.

Deli Sandwich: I again, disagree with the NW Herald choices. Subway is certainly nothing special and Jimmy John's is alright, but again, I would always choose Flatlanders for sandwiches. They truly have some of the best.

Donut: Country Donuts in Crystal Lake does have good donuts, no argument there.

Family Restaurants: There sure are many to choose from. I think the Huntley Café on Main Street is a cozy, quiet restaurant that has good food. I'd vote for it as the best.

Festival: Yeah, lots to choose from here too. There's the Gala in Crystal Lake, all the Woodstock Festivals, and our Settlers Days in Marengo. I think we should forget them all and choose the Gay Games. After all the commotion that they will cause, they're bound to be something none of us ever forgets!

Hot Dog Stands: I would say Mr. A's in Crystal Lake certainly has the best Chili Cheese Fries. They are excellent. Never mind the hot dogs, I'd go for these any old day.

Ice Cream: Kalidoscopes in Crystal Lake seems like the best place to me. No argument there.

Pizza: Papa Salernos in Lake in the Hills has alright pizza. But as far as pizza in McHenry County, I truly have not found any that even closely matches Chicago pizzas. There's just no comparison.

Place to take Kids: I would say, take them hiking. McHenry County Conservation District has a list of many different hiking destinations. There are some truly interesting places to go and best of all, its free.

Seafood: Port Edwards Restaurant is right on. Though be vary of the prices. A main course meal can run almost $36 for one person.

Shopping: It seems in McHenry County everyone seems to either head out of the county or into Crystal Lake. One of the two.

Town Square: Woodstock Square!! I think it's the ONLY town square too!

Toys:
Yep, stick to Walmart. Otherwise you'll spend a fortune on something your child might play for a week or two.

No comments:

site hit counter Copyright ©2006 Marengo Gazette. All rights reserved.